Sunday, June 27, 2010

New Job!!

So I finally got a job!! I am so excited, no more sitting at home all day everyday. I am now working as a phlebotomist at the Bio-mat Plasma Center in Rexburg. So far everything is going awesome. I started sticking people last Wednesday and have found that I really like it and I'm actually pretty good at it. One of the trainers thought I had been a phlebotomist before. Most people would think that maybe the sight of blood or sticking people would make me pass out, but nope not that, its the Freezers at work that make me pass out!!!
So my first day out on the donor floor I get there bright and early at 6:30am. Since we had no donors and I am pretty much useless anyways they asked me to go help pull shipment in the freezers. Of course I say yes. Now there freezers are not normal walk in freezers they are a whopping -31 and -42 degrees!! That is insane. So I suit up in some cover alls and go in. Since I'm the only girl they hand me the list of numbers to check off as they call them out. After about 15 minutes my hands feel like they are going to fall off and my face hurts from the cold, but I was feeling pretty good still. But after 20 minutes I knew something was wrong. I starting feeling a little light headed so I asked if I could go thaw out for a minute. I walk out and have to immediately sit down mostly because everything started to go black. I didn't want to seem like a pansy so I sat there for a minute then decided to go back in. But the moment I stood up I was a goner. The world when back and had I knew I had to lie down before I all out pass out. So I quietly went to the back room and laid on the floor. I didn't want to tell anyone because how embarrassing is it to pass out on your first day and from the cold! So I get up 2 minutes later walked to the break-room and start the process all over again. I blackout collapse to a chair until things come back. Then walk right back to the other room and had to lay down for 10 minutes!!!! All while trying to hide from everyone else. I finally decided its okay to get up even though I'm still white as a ghost and in a cold sweat. Luckily I didn't black out again, but felt sick for the next hour. So lesson learned avoid the freezer for longer then 10 minutes or else!
Since then they also have not asked me to go in the freezers again, so I'm starting to think I might not have been as inconspicuous as I thought the first time. Wish me luck if they do though!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! I found you through Diane's blog. I haven't seen you in who knows how long, so I'm glad you're writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a funny story! I'm glad you are all right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly I didn't even know you blogged! That is awesome about the plasma center, I can't believe you passed out! When we're back in Rexburg you'll probably see Jacob there since who knows where we'll be able to get a job!

    ReplyDelete